Skip to content

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the US government is sending checks of $1,200 or more to US citizens (including Americans abroad) who fall within certain requirements (see below). You can also receive an additional $500 if you have qualifying children. Here’s what else we know about the 2020 pandemic and taxes for US expats.

Qualify for the US Stimulus Check

To qualify for receiving the Stimulus check:

  • You filed a 2018/2019 US tax return to the IRS
  • Are not dependent of another taxpayer
  • Have a Social Security number
  • Have adjusted gross income up to: $75,000 for individuals, $112,500 for head of household filers, and $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns

Want more information on how to get the Stimulus Check? Read this blog.

Need to know your Stimulus check status? Visit this IRS page here.

Owing and Filing US Taxes

Due to COVID-19, there was a one time special filing and payment extension for all taxpayers (at home and abroad) to July 15th, 2020 for 2019 taxes. Additionally you could file for a free tax extension (Form 4868) at MyExpatTaxes for the October 15 deadline, or file an extension for the December 15 deadline.

For more information on the 2020 pandemic and taxes for US expats please see this post here.

Share Post

Posted in . Tags:

expat tax guide intro illustration

Expat Tax Guide

Enjoy our ultimate expat guide that will help you get and stay tax compliant!



Deadline to file if you owe taxes to the IRS. Sign up now to start filing!

Search Tax Guide

Tax Guide Topics

You may also like

Unfiled Tax Returns

Penalties for Not Filing Penalties can get serious if you are an American living abroad, and have unfiled tax returns – failing to file on time. For US expats it’s…

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-Employment Taxes If it is certain you work for yourself and are in control of the services you perform, then you are self-employed and income you receive from this specific…

Retiree Support for Americans Abroad

Retired or Planning to Retire? If you are planning to retire, you need to know that Americans, both in the US and abroad can gain retiree support benefits from the…

Renouncing US Citizenship

Renouncing US citizenship is possible as an American abroad, though not recommended. You’ll need to be tax compliant for five years, sign an oath, pay a large exit fee, and…

FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you are connected to the FATCA law. This law allows the US Department of Treasury to access your bank…

Save Even More Money with US Taxes

If you have a family, you can save money with US taxes through the child tax credit and foreign housing exclusion. The child tax credit allows you to get refundable…

Only our best expat tax tips to your inbox.

Thousands of users in over 170 countries.

See why people from around the world love us.

Featured In

Winning Choice

Global Mobility Rising Star of the Year 2019 for our Female CEO

Best Expat Tax Management Platform of 2019

Best US Expat Tax Return Solution of 2019

Shortlisted Most Innovative Use of Technology in Global Mobility of 2019

Shortlisted Tax Provider of the Year 2019

Scroll To Top