Skip to content

If you have a family, you can save money with US taxes through the child tax credit and foreign housing exclusion.

The child tax credit allows you to get refundable credit of up to $1,400 per child. Qualified housing expenses over €16,944 may help you become eligible for US tax exemption.

The Child Tax Credit

Read an updated post about the new Child Tax Credit under the American Rescue Plan.

The US provides financial assistance to parents in the form of tax credits and refunds, regardless of where they live and work.

A $2,000 tax credit can be claimed by American expat families for each of their dependent children who have valid US Social Security Numbers, and are under the age of 17. If families do not owe US taxes then $1,400 of the $2,000 credit is refundable. This is a great initiative from the IRS for families to save money with US taxes.

This means you might be able to get money back even if you don’t pay any income taxes to the US. The team at MyExpatTaxes can quickly figure out if you can get this refundable credit of up to $1,400 per child per year!

Foreign Housing Exclusion

The Foreign Housing Exclusion allows US citizens abroad to deduct any excess of housing expenses, paid by the employer over 16% of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) amount of that year ($107,600 for the 2020 tax season). Qualified housing expenses over $16,944 might be eligible for US tax exemption. However, there is a limit to how much foreign housing expenses you can deduct (more below).

In addition to foreign housing expenses, you can also get an exclusion from the following: home utilities, personal property insurance, accessory rentals, and household repairs. The exclusion does not include furniture you purchase online, domestic labor, and mortgage payments.

Qualify for the Foreign Housing Exclusion

To qualify for this expat tax benefit and save money with US taxes, you need to be qualified for the FEIE through this:

  1. Pass the Physical Presence Test or the Bona Fide Resident Test
    1. To pass the Physical Presence Test: You need to be outside of the US for 330 full days in a consecutive 12 month period, that begins or ends in the tax year.
    2. To pass the Bona Fide Rest Test: You need to be a resident in a foreign country and be subject to local income taxes for at least a full tax year.

Once you are certain you qualify for the FEIE, you can fill out Form 2555 informing the IRS of which test you qualify under. Or better yet, fill it out electronically through our software!

The MyExpatTaxes software can determine if you qualify for this exclusion and receive a refund. Want to learn more about the Foreign Housing Exclusion tax benefit? Read this.

Share Post

Posted in . Tags:

expat tax guide intro illustration

Expat Tax Guide

Enjoy our ultimate expat guide that will help you get and stay tax compliant!



Tax deadline if you filed for an extension


Search Tax Guide

Tax Guide Topics

You may also like

2021 Stimulus Checks for Americans Abroad

The first US stimulus checks for Americans abroad have been sent out in March 2020. Then, in 2021 a second check was released in January, and the third round happened…

Unfiled Tax Returns

Penalties for Not Filing Penalties can get serious if you are an American living abroad, and have unfiled tax returns – failing to file on time. For US expats it’s…

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-Employment Taxes If it is certain you work for yourself and are in control of the services you perform, then you are self-employed and income you receive from this specific…

Retiree Support for Americans Abroad

Retired or Planning to Retire? If you are planning to retire, you need to know that Americans, both in the US and abroad can gain retiree support benefits from the…

Renouncing US Citizenship

Renouncing US citizenship is possible as an American abroad, though not recommended. You’ll need to be tax compliant for five years, sign an oath, pay a large exit fee, and…

FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you are connected to the FATCA law. This law allows the US Department of Treasury to access your bank…

Only our best expat tax tips to your inbox.

Thousands of users in over 170 countries.

See why people from around the world love us.

Featured In

The leading, and most affordable, tax filing platform for American expats.

Yahoo! Finance

Winning Choice

Global Mobility Rising Star of the Year 2019 for our Female CEO

Best Expat Tax Management Platform of 2019

Best Tax Software for Expatriates in 2021

Best US Expat Tax Return Solution of 2019

Shortlisted Most Innovative Use of Technology in Global Mobility of 2019

Scroll To Top