US Expat State Filing Extensions

April 12, 2021 | | 3 minute read
Expat Tax Blog. Tax Tips for US Americans abroad.

certificate  All blogs are verified by IRS Enrolled Agents and CPAs

US expat state tax extensions are possible to file when you’re living abroad. It all depends on whether the state you are liable for has an extension available. Not all countries in the United States offer an extended period of time for owed taxes, which is why it’s essential to check if an extension is even possible.

First, let’s dive into what state taxes are all about for US citizens abroad.

Filing State Tax Returns from Abroad

As an American abroad, you may not think about filing State tax returns. Yet, the need to file a state tax return comes down to three factors:

  • Having or maintaining an abode (permanent residence) in your former US state
  • Having a legit and believable domicile (legal residence) abroad for the IRS
  • You are still making income in your US State and therefore need to pay state taxes as a US citizen abroad

Sourcing State Income

Another important point to determine whether you need to file state taxes as an American abroad is understanding where your income is sourced. And if this income is sourced from the US, does this mean you must pay state taxes?

The source of your earned income will be the place where you performed services for which you received the income. It depends on your unique situation. You could be living and working in Dubai but renting out your apartment in Manhatten.

If this were the case, you would need to pay New York state taxes because of your apartment in New York property. All income produced from that property in New York is New York sourced income.

States that Require State Tax Return

Here is a list of states that require a State Tax Return to be filed if American expats meet their filing requirements:

AlabamaAmerican SamoaArizona
Commonweal North Mariana IslandsConnecticutDelaware
District of ColumbiaFederated States of MicronesiaGeorgia
MaineMarshall IslandsMaryland
NebraskaNew HampshireNew Jersey
New MexicoNew YorkNorth Carolina
North DakotaOhioOklahoma
Puerto RicoRhode IslandSouth Carolina
TennesseeUS Virgin IslandsUtah
VermontVirginiaWest Virginia

Filing State Extensions 101

What is a filing extension for Americans abroad? It’s a formal request you place to the tax authority, asking for additional time on a tax return. Typically, an extension allows a taxpayer six additional months to file their income tax return.

However, a state tax extension does not extend the owed taxes you must pay, which are due on your return. Therefore, we suggest you send your expected payment at the time you will file an extension.

In the many US States, individual taxpayers use the extension form as a type of voucher to pay the taxes owed to the state by the tax filing deadline.

States That Offer Filing Extensions

In regards to filing extensions, states like to be unique and different! Some states:

  • Automatically provide an extension until October 15
  • Accept the Federal Extension to October 15, if you file one
  • Require you to File a State Specific Extension Form

However, all states will require you as American expat to PAY 90% – 100% of all tax liabilities by the original state deadline.

Here is a table of the lists of what each state accepts for extension requirements, deadlines and links:

State:Extension Requirement:Extended Deadline:Extension Link:
AlabamaAutomaticOctober 15
ArizonaFederalOctober 15
ArkansasFederalOctober 15
CaliforniaAutomaticOctober 15
ColoradoAutomaticOctober 15
ConnecticutFederalOctober 15
DelawareFiling RequiredOctober 15
District of ColumbiaFiling RequiredOctober 15
GeorgiaFederalOctober 15
HawaiiFiling RequiredOctober 20
IdahoFiling RequiredOctober 15
IllinoisFederalOctober 15
IndianaFederalOctober 15
IowaFiling RequiredJanuary 31
KansasFederalOctober 15
KentuckyFederalOctober 15
LouisianaFiling RequiredNovember 15
MaineFiling RequiredNovember 15
MarylandFederalOctober 15
MassachusettsFiling RequiredOctober 15
MichiganFederalOctober 15
MinnesotaAutomaticOctober 15
MississippiFederalOctober 15
MontanaAutomaticOctober 15
NebraskaFederalOctober 15
New HampshireAutomatic October 15
New JerseyFederalOctober 15
New MexicoFederalOctober 15
New YorkFiling RequiredOctober 15
North CarolinaFederalOctober 15
North DakotaFederalOctober 15
OhioFederalOctober 15
OklahomaFederalOctober 15
OregonFederalOctober 15
PennsylvaniaFederalOctober 15
Rhode IslandFederalOctober 15
South CarolinaFederalOctober 15
TennesseeFederalOctober 15
UtahFiling requiredOctober 15
VermontFederalOctober 15
VirginiaAutomaticOctober 15
West VirginiaFederalOctober 15
WisconsinFederalOctober 15

We’re Here to Help with Extension Filing

Whether you need to file a state tax return or US expat state filing extension, we’re here to help. At MyExpatTaxes we know US taxes are complicated and stressful to do an American living abroad. Therefore, we designed an expat tax software to combat these issues.

Our award-winning software can file your state and income tax return in under 30 minutes. What are you waiting for? File your US expat taxes today!

Written by Michelle H.

April 12, 2021 | | 3 minute read

Search Tax Tips

Tax Tip Topics

Related Articles

Recent Articles