FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

April 12, 2023 | | 3 minute read
Expat Tax Guide | Everything you need to know about filing taxes abroad in 2024

certificate  Verified by IRS Enrolled Agents and CPAs

Your Foreign Bank Account and FATCA in 2022

Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you have a connection to the FATCA law. This law allows the US Department of Treasury to access your bank account to ensure no illegal activity. Then if you have over $10,000 total from all of your foreign bank accounts at any one time during the year, you’ll need to fill out an FBAR.

Your Foreign Bank Account and FATCA


By loading the video, you agree to YouTube's privacy policy.
Learn more

Load video

FATCA stands for the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. This federal law requires foreign financial institutions, like banks, to report back the data of US account holders, while also requiring US citizens to disclose this information themselves. It’s a means to prevent illegal money laundering abroad.

Every foreign bank that allows a US American to open an account must be able to comply with the FATCA laws. This means it is possible to face rejection from a foreign bank because you are a US citizen, and the bank does not want to associate with the FATCA Law.

If the bank allows you, as an expat, access to a foreign bank account, you must fill out and sign lots of paperwork. Some papers give the US Department of Treasury access to peek into your bank account. It is a standard procedure we US expats must familiarize ourselves with because it won’t be going away.

Form 8938

Under FATCA, Form 8938 requires you to be fill out if the total value of all your specified foreign financial assets in which you have an interest is more than the appropriate reporting threshold. The threshold starts at $200,000 for US taxpayers living abroad who file as single or separately from their spouse. The filing thresholds double if you are filing with your spouse.

According to the IRS, taxpayers living abroad must file Form 8938 if you file an income tax return and…

  • Are married and filing a joint income tax return with the total value of specified foreign financial assets being more than $400,000 on the last day of the tax year, or more than $600,000 at any time during the year. These thresholds also apply if only one spouse resides abroad. Married individuals who file a joint income tax return for the tax year will file a single Form 8938 that reports all of the specified foreign financial assets in which either spouse has an interest. 
  • OR you are not a married person filing a joint income tax return and the total value of your specified foreign financial assets is more than $200,000 on the last day of the tax year or more than $300,000 at any time during the year. – Source: IRS

Read more information about which forms you’ll need to fill out for the FATCA.

The FBAR and Its Importance


By loading the video, you agree to YouTube's privacy policy.
Learn more

Load video

The FBAR stands for the Foreign Bank Account Report. It’s a form that US Americans abroad must fill out if you have a bank (or any other financial) account established overseas. This is a pure information form and you shouldn’t be taxed on your foreign bank accounts. The FBAR is purely informational for the US tax authorities and is operated by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), which is part of the US Department of Treasury. 

How do you determine whether you need to file an FBAR or not?

As long as you have a foreign bank account as an American abroad, you need to check your bank statements. An FBAR is a requirement every year if you have over $10,000 total from all your foreign financial accounts at any one time during the year. This means if you had $10,001 for one day, you still need to file an FBAR. Submit the FBAR via the BSA E filing system or better yet – through the MyExpatTaxes software!

The FBAR is due on April 15th every year to coincide with the tax date for Americans both inland and overseas. However, if you missed out on the filing date, there is no reason to stress. The FBAR has an automatic extension for expats to file until October 15th of that tax year.

Completing the FBAR

To file successfully, you’ll need to Form 114, the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. The FBAR is already included in the MyExpatTaxes fee with your federal tax return. Don’t need to file a US Tax return? Then file your FBAR directly with MyExpatFBAR!

The FBAR can be a daunting form, which is why we want to make it easier for you and encourage you to sign up through our app and file electronically. Our support team can assist you every step of the way. 

Written by Martina Misar-Tummeltshammer

April 12, 2023 | | 3 minute read

Tax Guide Topics

MyExpatTaxes 2024 US Expat Tax Guide

Expat Tax Guide

Enjoy our ultimate expat guide that will help you get and stay tax compliant!

Search Tax Guide

You may also like

See all

Stimulus Checks for Americans Abroad

Are you an American living abroad? You might have heard about the stimulus checks handed out during Covid-19. These checks acted as a financial relief to many American families. In…

Read More ...

Expat Tax Benefits

Avoid Double Taxation from these Expat Tax Benefits Double taxation happens when you have to pay taxes on the same income twice. For example, you could be working as a…

Read More ...

Retiree Support for Americans Abroad

Retired or Planning to Retire in 2024? If you are an expat planning your retirement, you need to know that Americans in the US and abroad can gain retiree support…

Read More ...

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-Employment Taxes for US Expats in 2024 If you are your own boss and have control over the services you provide, you are considered self-employed, and the income earned from…

Read More ...

Save Even More Money with US Taxes

Want to know how to save money on your taxes? If you have a family, you can easily save money with US taxes through the child tax credit and foreign…

Read More ...

Filing and Paying US Taxes Support

In this section, learn about filing and paying taxes for US expats. As well as, foreign income and the exact forms you need to file your expat taxes, and what…

Read More ...

Only our best expat tax tips to your inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.