How to File a US Tax Extension Abroad for Free in 2024

December 7, 2023 | | 3 minute read
Expat Tax Blog. Tax Tips for US Americans abroad.

certificate  All blogs are verified by IRS Enrolled Agents and CPAs

Woman filing a tax extension from abroad.

Would you like to learn how to file a US tax extension for free in 2024 as an American abroad? You’ve come to the right place! This means you won’t have time to file your US tax return by June 17th (typically June 15th, 2024) and want to file for October 15th.

With MyExpatTaxes, filing an extension is absolutely free! That’s right, no cost involved. We’ll walk you through the process of filing a U.S. tax extension abroad for free using our expat tax software.

How to File Free US Tax Extension

To file for the October 15th deadline, you can file your US tax extension easily.

Perform the Following Steps:

  1. Set up an account at MyExpatTaxes. We’ll need your name, address, social security number and some other details to be able to file your extension.
  2. Next, check the Navigation Panel on the left and look for “File your return.” A drop-down will appear. Click on “File your extension” highlighted in red below:
How to file a tax extension abroad for free with myexpattaxes

This will open up the following page:

Filing a tax extension abroad for the IRS

Based on the information you have already provided, some or all of the information will be pre-filled. If you need to make any edits, you can use the Edit links on the right to jump to that page. You can use the navigation panel to return to this page.

Lastly, you need to confirm that you were abroad/out of the United States on June 17th, 2024 and are a US citizen/resident. Then, give us your consent to file your free extension to the IRS.

Once you have submitted your consent for us to file your extension, we’ll make a few last checks and let you know if anything else is needed. If not, then you’ll just continue to the next page. In the background, we’ll be processing your extension filing directly with the IRS. Then, we’ll notify you via email when your extension was accepted by the IRS!

Three Important Notes About Filing with MyExpatTaxes

  1. Once your extension is submitted through our software you can file your US taxes between June 15th and October 15th without late filing fees.
  2. A tax extension is just an option if you want more time to file your US expat taxes. If you can file before the June 17th deadline, that is great.
  3. You are not obligated to file future taxes with MyExpatTaxes when you file an extension through us.

US Tax Extension Deadlines 2024

The US tax deadline extension for Americans abroad is June 17th, 2024. This is an automatic extension that expats receive, whereas their fellow Americans back home do not have such a deal. But if you need to pay US taxes, you’ll need to do so before April 15th to avoid interest and fees.

As the deadline approaches swiftly, filing an extension might be a smart move, giving you extra time to handle your U.S. taxes. It’s completely okay, and you can seamlessly file for an extension through us, extending the deadline to October 15th.

FBAR Tax Extension Deadline

The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts – or FBAR – has the has a different deadline for this year. This deadline is October 15th. Moreover, this deadline is an automatic extension for expats. Realistically you can say this is the FBAR deadline for Americans abroad. Therefore, you don’t need to file an extension, unless you want to file the FBAR by December 16th, 2024 (usually on December 15th, but it falls on a weekend in 2024).

The FBAR is a form by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network which needs to collect information about all your financial transactions while you live in a foreign country. The purpose of this form is to prevent illegal monetary activity, like international laundering.


By loading the video, you agree to YouTube's privacy policy.
Learn more

Load video

You only need to file an FBAR if you have had $10,000 or more in your foreign bank accounts at any one time of the year. So if you have $10,001 for just one day you still need to file an FBAR.

Need More Support?

We’re here if you need us. We can help answer your US tax questions, and provide support if you’re an American or Green Card Holder abroad. Even if you need to catch up on missed or unfiled tax returns, you can also take advantage of our Streamlined Procedure. There is always a tax solution we can provide you with.

Written by Michelle H.

December 7, 2023 | | 3 minute read

Search Tax Tips

Tax Tip Topics

Related Articles

Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.

Recent Articles