Skip to content

Penalties for Not Filing

Penalties can get serious if you are an American living abroad, and have unfiled tax returns – failing to file on time. For US expats it’s June 15th of every year, with an option to request for an extension.

Unfortunately, if you do not file and the IRS catches you, these are potential penalties:

To learn more about how the IRS calculates penalties, please click here.

Did you forget or not know how to file? If you were innocent in the matter, you can use the Streamlined Filing Procedure (see below) to get back on track.

Filing For Previous Years and Back Taxes

Did you miss filing one, two or more tax returns? You could have a backlog of unfiled tax returns on queue, which you’ll need to do something about. As an American expat or Green Card Holder living abroad, if you forgot or didn’t know you had to file US tax returns and the FBAR annually, there’s a tax amnesty solution for you.

The Streamlined Procedure allows you to avoid tax penalties and fees and put you back on the IRS good list. It’s a specific process to walk through, where you will need to have information from the last three years (yearly salary, investments, etc).

Qualify for the Streamlined Procedure

Your actions must be innocent for not filing tax returns in the past. This could mean you didn’t know how to file, were unaware of this tax obligation, or forgot. You’ll need to sign a statement stating this fact on Form 14653 (or via our expat tax software) when you start filing through this program.

Requirements to File Back Taxes:

You are eligible to use the Streamlined Procedure if you fall within the following guidelines:

  • You did not live in a home in the US for the last three years
  • Were living outside of the US for at least 330 days in the year
  • You have not filed a federal tax return in the last three years
  • Haven’t filed amended or delinquent tax returns in the past
  • Haven’t filed the FBAR within the last six years

What do you need for the Streamlined Procedure?

  • Three years of back tax returns (not including this year’s return)
  • Six years of FBAR reports (not including this year’s report). FBARs are only required if you have had over $10,000 in all your foreign financial accounts at any time during the year
  • Signed statement on the Certification by U.S. Person Residing Outside of the U.S.

How Much Does it Cost?

Our expat tax software and Streamlined Procedure service has one of the most affordable packages for Americans abroad. Even if you have a more extensive or complex tax situation, we will not increase our fees for you.

It is a total of 696 Euro including VAT broken down into the following ways: 4 years of tax returns at 149 Euro each (including this tax year’s return), plus six years of FBAR reports (if need be), and 100 Euro for extended support that will guide you through the process and make sure all your questions are answered. We say that’s pretty reasonable!

expat tax guide intro illustration

Expat Tax Guide

Enjoy our ultimate expat guide that will help you get and stay tax compliant!

Search Tax Guide

Tax Guide Topics

You may also like

2021 Stimulus Checks for Americans Abroad

The first US stimulus checks for Americans abroad have been sent out in March 2020. Then, in 2021 a second check was released in January, and the third round happened…

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-Employment Taxes If it is certain you work for yourself and are in control of the services you perform, then you are self-employed and income you receive from this specific…

Retiree Support for Americans Abroad

Retired or Planning to Retire? If you are planning to retire, you need to know that Americans, both in the US and abroad can gain retiree support benefits from the…

Renouncing US Citizenship

Renouncing US citizenship is possible as an American abroad, though not recommended. You’ll need to be tax compliant for five years, sign an oath, pay a large exit fee, and…

FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you are connected to the FATCA law. This law allows the US Department of Treasury to access your bank…

Save Even More Money with US Taxes

If you have a family, you can save money with US taxes through the child tax credit and foreign housing exclusion. The child tax credit allows you to get refundable…

Only our best expat tax tips to your inbox.

Thousands of users in over 170 countries.

See why people from around the world love us.

Featured In

The leading, and most affordable, tax filing platform for American expats.

Yahoo! Finance

Winning Choice

Best Tax Software for Expatriates in 2021

Scroll To Top