Skip to content

Tax Tips for U.S. Americans Abroad

Married Filing Jointly or Separately as an American Abroad?

Today we’re going to cover the popular US tax topic: Married Filing Jointly or Separately as an American Abroad.

A popular reason why U.S. citizens are living abroad is “because of love.” An example can be meeting someone from another corner in the U.S., then deciding to move and live with them in their home country. Other times it’s meeting someone online, visiting them abroad and eventually marrying them. While falling in love may happen by chance, staying in love and living together is a fruitful choice.

But when tax season hits, and you’re a U.S. expat married to a Non-U.S. Citizen Spouse – what do you need to do?


Married Filing Separately as an American Abroad

Filing together with your spouse does normally come with better tax benefits. However, it can cause extra reporting stress for Americans with non-U.S. partners. Let’s take a look to see if makes sense to file Married Filing Separately instead …

If the following is true in your situation:

  • You make less than $100K USD earned income (salaried or self-employed). Plus, you can exclude all of it via the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion benefit.
  • You have less than $12K investment or U.S. sourced income that cannot be excluded through the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.
    • $12K is the total standard deduction allowed for Married Filing Separately in 2018
    • U.S. sourced income is detailed more in-depth here!

If it is all true for you, the next step is to just file as Married Filing Separately as an American abroad or Head of Household (if you have qualifying dependents and keep up more than half of the costs of your home). Additionally – due to the expat benefit of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, and the deductions/exemptions, you will most likely owe no taxes and therefore don’t require the extra benefits of Married Filing Jointly.

Just keep in mind, that since you and your non-U.S. partner are married – you are not allowed to file as Single! If you decide not to sign them up with the IRS, then your filing status has to be either Married Filing Separately or Head of Household.

The MyExpatTaxes software is designed specifically for US expats and can determine the correct filing status and benefits to help your spouse file his taxes in as little as 30 minutes (and stress-free!) for an affordable fixed rate.

Share Post

Leave a Comment

− 3 = 2


You may also like

Expat Tax Tips  |  Categories

Accidental Americans
Expat Taxes Support
Married Filing Separately
Social Security Support
U.S. Digital Nomad
American Families Abroad
Foreign Bank Account
Self-Employment Support
Tax Forms
U.S. Freelancer
Double Taxation
Married Filing Jointly
Short-Term US Expat
Streamlined Procedure
U.S. State Taxes
fem emma award shortlisted

Skip waiting queues at the U.S. embassy and renew your
U.S. passport through the mail with MyExpatPassport!

Skip waiting queues at the
U.S. embassy and renew your
U.S. passport through the mail!

myExpatPassport Logo White

Skip waiting queues at the U.S. embassy and renew your U.S. passport through the mail!

Featured In

Scroll To Top