Renouncing US Citizenship

January 17, 2023 | | 2 minute read
Expat Tax Guide | Everything you need to know about filing taxes abroad in 2022

certificate  Verified by IRS Enrolled Agents and CPAs

Renouncing US citizenship is possible as an American abroad, though not recommended. You’ll need to be tax compliant for five years, sign an oath, pay a large exit fee, and more.

Want to Renounce your US Citizenship?

While renouncing US citizenship is possible, it’s not recommended. If you give up your citizenship, finding a job in the US will be difficult, and you may lose the opportunity to pass your citizenship on to your children, who could gain US tax benefits. Also, as we saw throughout the last few difficult years (2020,2021), when borders and economies close, US citizenship may prove to be especially useful.

The US Citizenship laws and policies have specific requirements for you to renounce responsibly.

All US expats must do four things to renounce US citizenship:

  • Have to be tax compliant for five years (no skipping filing and paying taxes!)
  • Appear in person before a US consular or diplomatic officer (US Embassy or Consulate)
  • Sign an oath of renunciation in person
  • Pay a $2,350* exit fee

*This fee is subject to change at anytime!

Renouncing your US Citizenship does not mean you are entirely done yet with US taxes. You will still need to file a final US tax return with exit form 8854 and comply with all the requirements. Otherwise, you might still need to file US taxes even without US citizenship.

Here is more information from elsewhere on our blog, Relief Procedures for Certain Former Citizens:

Keep in mind that relieving your US citizenship for tax purposes can negatively impact your ability to travel within the US. For starters, you will have no residence in the United States. Then if you believe you will want to work in the US again or may need to visit people there in the future, your loss of nationality with the country may not be a recommended idea.

Many expats still keep US citizenship in order to pass it on to their children in the future. This allows them to may have access to the US job market when the time comes. Additionally, if a child has US citizenship through their parent, they can get a driver’s license, work and live easily in the States.

Furthermore, all US children with valid SSN under the age of 18 may enable US expats to get up to $1,400 in refundable tax dollars per year. You can read more about the Additional Child Tax Credit here.

Learn more about renunciation: Relief Procedures for Certain Former Citizens.

Written by Michelle H.

January 17, 2023 | | 2 minute read

Tax Guide Topics

MyExpatTaxes 2022 US Expat Tax Guide

Expat Tax Guide

Enjoy our ultimate expat guide that will help you get and stay tax compliant!

Search Tax Guide

You may also like

See all

Expat Tax Benefits

Avoid Double Taxation from these Expat Tax Benefits Double taxation happens when your income taxes are paid twice on the same source of income. For example, you could be working…

Read More ...

Retiree Support for Americans Abroad

Retired or Planning to Retire in 2023? If you are planning to retire, you need to know that Americans, both in the US and abroad can gain retiree support benefits…

Read More ...

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-Employment Taxes for US Expats in 2023 If you work for yourself and are in control of the services you perform, then you are self-employed, and the income you receive…

Read More ...

FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

Your Foreign Bank Account and FATCA in 2022 Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you are connected to the FATCA law. This law allows the…

Read More ...

Save Even More Money with US Taxes

If you have a family, you can save money with US taxes through the child tax credit and foreign housing exclusion. The child tax credit allows you to get refundable…

Read More ...

Filing and Paying US Taxes Support

In this section, learn about filing and paying taxes for US expats. Plus, foreign income and the exact forms you need to file your expat taxes, and what to do…

Read More ...

Only our best expat tax tips to your inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.