Retiree Support for Americans Abroad

January 18, 2023 | | 2 minute read
Expat Tax Guide | Everything you need to know about filing taxes abroad in 2022

certificate  Verified by IRS Enrolled Agents and CPAs

Retired or Planning to Retire in 2023?

If you are an expat planning your retirement, you need to know that Americans, both in the US and abroad can gain retiree support benefits from the IRS. But this can only happen if you have paid into your Social Security (SS) account over time.

To determine if you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits, much of it will depend on your citizenship, residency status, and the agreement the US has with the foreign country you reside in.

The IRS will need coverage in your account (40 credits) or ten years of work that was paid in your SS account to start giving you benefits.

Must-Do for Retirees

If you plan to move abroad and start life as a US retiree, you’ll need to do a file a few things for the Social Security Administration:

  • Change of address
  • Divorce of Annulment
  • Inability of  Manage Funds
  • …and more

If you do fail to report changes to the administration, this could result in benefits stopping or overpayment charges. So it’s best to make sure you share the changes with the SS office as soon as you can.

Payments Stopping?

If you are not eligible to receive SS, any payments from the IRS will stop after you have been living outside the US for six months. But if you are living in a foreign country that is on the Totalization Agreement list, you can still receive SS benefits as a retiring American abroad. Then, however long you’ve been outside the US won’t matter.

Otherwise, if you are a US citizen living abroad in one of the countries not on the Totalization list (ie: restricted countries), your Social Security payments are withheld until you move to a country on the list, or come back to the US.

Retired Widow – Retiree Support

If you are an American abroad who is also a widow (survivor), or a dependent from a deceased taxpayer, you made to meet additional requirements to receive SS benefits and retiree support, like:

Get Your SS Payments Online

You can take advantage of online payments, to get faster direct deposits instead of waiting for a paper check in the mail. By having a SS account online, you can prevent future checks from potential theft or misplacement. Abroad, your US Consulate can provide more information regarding relevant Federal Benefits Unit offices closest to you.

Taxable Retirement Benefits

Factually, all Social Security retirement benefits you receive as an American abroad may be taxable income on your US taxes. Meaning, no matter where you live in the world as a US citizen or Greencard Holder, your SS benefits may be subject to taxation.

So plan wisely, we say. SS benefits as retiree support can be up to 85% taxable on your US taxes. Plus, this can bring a tax liability within the country you are living in. It is even more so if there is no clause between your host country and the US on the American Tax Treaty regarding country taxation rights on SS payments.

Having social security benefits does not make you eligible for the FEIE (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion), due to your SS money not being foreign earned.

Written by Michelle H.

January 18, 2023 | | 2 minute read

Tax Guide Topics

MyExpatTaxes 2023 US Expat Tax Guide

Expat Tax Guide

Enjoy our ultimate expat guide that will help you get and stay tax compliant!

Search Tax Guide

You may also like

See all

FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

Your Foreign Bank Account and FATCA in 2022 Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you have a connection to the FATCA law. This law allows…

Read More ...

Expat Tax Benefits

Avoid Double Taxation from these Expat Tax Benefits Double taxation happens when your income taxes are paid twice on the same source of income. For example, you could be working…

Read More ...

Self-Employment Taxes

Self-Employment Taxes for US Expats in 2023 If you work for yourself and are in control of the services you perform, then you are self-employed, and the income you receive…

Read More ...

Renouncing US Citizenship

Renouncing US citizenship is possible as an American abroad, though not recommended. You’ll need to be tax compliant for five years, sign an oath, pay a large exit fee, and…

Read More ...

FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Information

Your Foreign Bank Account and FATCA in 2022 Every foreign bank account you open as an American abroad means you are connected to the FATCA law. This law allows the…

Read More ...

Save Even More Money with US Taxes

Want to know how to save money on your taxes? If you have a family, you can easily save money with US taxes through the child tax credit and foreign…

Read More ...

Only our best expat tax tips to your inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.